Sunday, June 01, 2008

The little things

The guy I'm sharing a room in Ramallah with always sets his alarm for 8am. Every day he presses snooze instead of turning the alarm off. He usually gets up around 11am, which means he ritually turns it off every 15 minutes or so between 8 and 11am. Surprisingly the sound has become somewhat endearing to me. I think it helps that I'm usually out of bed by 7:30am and sit in the adjoining room.

I think I'm going to find it hard to sleep when I return home without the constant sound of the muezzin calling the Fajir azzan or mosquitoes buzzing over my ears. Having said that, to dispel any romantic fantasies readers may have about travel in exotic destinations, it'll be great to have a bit of peace and quiet and no irritating mosquito bites in wierd locations. Not to mention smelling like Aeroguard in the morning. Which reminds me, I've got a new business proposal. How about a line of aerosol perfumes, eg Calvin Klein 'Deterrance' for men and women? I'm (not very) serious! I don't have any cologne with me, glass bottles are too heavy. So my only real perfume is Aeroguard at the moment.

3 Comments:

At 10:03 PM, Blogger Damian said...

That's a great idea, mate. Dunno about Calvin Klein, though - make mine Brut!

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger Iqbal Khaldun said...

Thanks mate. Yeah Brut is more like, more manly and musky. Remember that commercial set in heaven where a naked Adam is chasing a naked Eve. Ah the memories!

 
At 9:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes... that permanent whiff of Aeroguard. I like to think of it as the aid worker's perfume.

And yeah... I currently live in a house of night owls. And as I get older, I am more of a morning person. So I find myself tidying up the place each morning in this bizarre French expat Nairobi sharehouse.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home