Monday, May 19, 2008

Happy birthday

No one individual has affected me, emotionally, more than Malik el-Shabazz, better known to the world as Malcolm X. I remember watching Spike Lee's movie and then reading the Alex Haley autobiography. I was immediately moved by his remarkable transition from poverty and crime to activism. But it was only when I heard him speak that I realised that Malcolm was something special. I don't think the English language has ever had anyone as forthright or brave enough to openly change his views as he developed and learnt more about his struggle. It is important never to fetishise or mythologise people. There is a lot of things Malcolm said that I totally disagree with. Much of his early speeches were beyond extreme. But he was a human being, and, when all is said, represents everything a person can hope to do to openly and honestly challenge an unjust world. I love the Ossie Davis eulogy he read at his funeral as well. Always gets me choked up. If you get a chance see the version from the Spike Lee film, it has a cameo by Nelson Mandela (before he became president I think) at the end.


Happy birthday brother, may your spirit live on in our minds and especially our hearts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home