Thursday, June 28, 2007

A letter from Gaza

An interview with Anees from Gaza on life, occupation and the Hamas take over:

‘I am frightened and confused.’

So begins my most recent conversation with Anees, a young man from Rafah in the Gaza Strip. I spoke to Anees two weeks ago while rival militants from Hamas and Fatah battled on the streets outside his house. The violent clap of bullets could be heard in the background as Anees, curtains drawn in his room, continued to speak.

‘I am scared that if I even look outside my window, I will be shot at … there have been reports that civilians have been shot [in the crossfire].’

You can read the entire piece here if you subscribe to New Matilda. A one year subscription costs AUD88 or AUD44 for concessions, which is pretty good value for a quality progressive magazine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home