Saturday, July 23, 2005

On the water front

Today I decided to take a walk along the beach at Cooke Point.

The tide is at its lowest in the late afternoon so you can literally walk kilometres before you reach the ocean. Forget about beach cricket, you could play a proper test match over here!

The little blue dots in this photo are sand crabs. They spend their days rolling little balls of sand. I have no idea why. It must be purposeful, it looks too deliberate to be pointless. If you try to look at them close up they get frightened and quickly borrow into the sand. Very cute.

Self portrait

A bird walks on water

I wonder whether they still measure the depth with this wooden peg?

Halfway there

The sun begins to set

The evening has landed.
So ends another 'tough' winter day in the Pilbara.

10 Comments:

At 7:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you would go to hell for this unislamic act of taking photos.

 
At 2:33 AM, Blogger Iqbal Khaldun said...

Haha spoken like a non-Muslim.

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger Stephen said...

You've still got it.

 
At 11:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you can just tell us that you're there on a holiday/ islamic training camp. we understand.

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Iqbal Khaldun said...

That's right, training the sand crabs to recite the Koran.

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger Iqbal Khaldun said...

Haha sometimes-homesick eh? I know exactly what you mean. I'm originally from Sydney. Am working for the local aboriginal land council for the next few months. Am visiting Palestine for a month after that. Decide my immediate future career after that.

Whereabouts are you at the moment? And when do you go to Afghanistan again? Hope preparations are going well.

 
At 12:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you have any friends in Allahbama?

 
At 1:58 AM, Blogger Iqbal Khaldun said...

No, but I know a blogger who lives there.

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger Iqbal Khaldun said...

Actually as soon as I asked, I realised all I had to do was check your blog, which is great reading by the way.

I'm going to Palestine off my own bat. My uncle is a surgeon in the US. He does operations free of charge in the Occupied Territories every 6 months. This time I've decided to follow him. Being a lawyer, I've planned to meet mainly legal NGOs. But I hope to meet some locals, including some of the local folk and hip hop music talent and write about my experiences on my return. The plan is to return on a regular basis.

Wouldn't mind getting in touch with your housemate re life/working in the West Bank if possible. There's a chance I might stay longer than a month if I find work there.

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger Mujahid said...

You my friend have a good eye for taking pictures.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home